This week in youth group we talked about The Backwards Life that Christ calls us to in Mark 8:34-37. We discussed how much about the Christian life is counterintuitive, that at first glance it doesn’t seem to be very smart or safe. In fact, Jesus is literally saying, “What you’ve thought all along is up is actually down, and what you think is down is actually up!”
After watching the video, discuss these questions:
1) Can you identify with the illustration of clinging to the balance beam of life?
2) Do you think a person can be truly happy if they are not using the balance beam for its designed purpose (or if they are not living their life according to its designed purpose)?
3) What are some characteristics of the life Christ calls us to in the Gospels?
4) How is taking risks on a balance beam counterintuitive or backwards?
5) What kinds of risks do you think God might be calling you to as a person? As a family?